Monday, December 7, 2009

Tricks of the Trade

For the past few years at Agribition Kirk Stierwalt has came up and done a demo about clipping. I have only been able to catch a few minutes of this each year, usually during a break to grab some breakfast.

I think that it is great that Agribition brings him up here to help teach and educate the youth as well as long time breeders. This year there were about 50 people watching when I stopped in.
Clipping has always been something that I have lacked skills in when it comes to showing. I am more then capable to halter break, work hair, and when I want fit. I can rough cattle out, and definitely shave out a head or a front end, but when it comes to clipping cattle for a show, my skills are lacking.

This winter I am going to try to get some heifers in and clip them out. We have 3 or 4 in the pen that are halter broke so they will get to be guinea pigs! There is a Stierwalt clinic that is coming to Saskatoon next October, and I am going to try to get there and go to the clinic. Until then, it will be play time with the heifers this winter!

No comments: