Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Jumping Into Opera

With my new job I knew I would be exposed to a lot of opera. When I interviewed for the position they knew that I had never attended an opera, however, growing up we were exposed to a lot of different types of arts. Crystal and I were both in dance classes through school, we were also attended many plays and theatre, and have even seen 2 Broadway plays in NYC.

This week it all changed when I heard my first live opera performances. Now there were by no means a full production, but rather solo performances in an intimate setting. The performances were amazing to say the least. We were able to listen to the lead performers for the upcoming Aida production that the Edmonton Opera is presenting. All I can say is that I have never heard singing that powerful.

Although lots of operas are written in a foreign language, primarily Russian, Italian, and French, there are some operas that are written in English as well. During the actual performance there will be subtitles that translate for the audience, but through the sets, emotions, acting and storytelling the story is actually quite easy to follow.

The Aida performance opens on October 19th and I cannot wait to see it in all of its glory!


No comments: